Straw Day

The boxes are all unpacked. Well as unpacked as they are going to be for a long time. Most of the pictures have been hung and there is a functioning kitchen and laundry room. As a result, the last week and a half has been about catching up.

The catching up isn’t just from the move, it is really catching up from the last year. Working full time last year and having my husband’s mother and ill father living with us required a lot of “putting off until later”. There is a lot of catching up. The family files had to be sorted through and then dispose of all the outdated information. Car insurance and rental insurance needed updating, both for the move and for other life changes to make sure we are getting the best rate. New doctors have to be found and well child/baby visits booked since we are behind from last year. Daniel’s IEP was updated and is being implemented at the new school. I have been plowing through it all.

Today, the priority was taxes and Daniel’s school work. The taxes took most of the morning and went smoother than I expected. I am thankful for minor miracles. Daniel’s school work didn’t go so well.

A week ago Monday, during the IEP meeting, I was assured that his Resource Study Hall teacher at the end of the day would have a list of all the assignments from the teachers throughout the day. It was agreed that the Resource Study Hall teacher would check his agenda to assure that all his assignments were correctly written there and that he had all the items he needed to complete the homework. ie: worksheets, books, etc. That would allow Daniel to run to his locker or back to a teacher to retrieve items before he left for home.

Daniel has been coming home with “No Homework” written in his agenda every day. I was becoming suspicious that Daniel was back to his bad habit of blowing off homework. I wrote to the woman who had introduced herself as his Resource Study Hall teacher, Mrs. L. Mrs. L. replied with a she was no longer going to be his Resource Study Hall teacher. She also informed me that Daniel was getting a D in Social Studies and an F in Science but didn’t know why. My suspicions were correct. Something was not working as it should.

While Daniel ran an errand for me, I worked on contacting each of his teachers individually to get an update from them.

I sat in the middle of my very messy kitchen trying to compose emails to several different teachers. I am a bit ADD and having a messy space makes me feel mildly stressed and unfocused. Trying to do something that is also stressful like deal with Daniel falling behind in school while in a messy space makes me even more frazzled. I decided to take a minute to walk the garden with my husband and calm down.

As we were walking, The Bear (Daniel’s younger brother) came out to tell us that The Littlest One peed her pants. The Littlest One has been potty trained for nearly a year and to have her pee her pants is highly unusual. The situation was further complicated by the fact that she is having a very bad bout of eczema right now and the ammonia from the urine made her shriek. I asked The Bear, to please put her in a bath while I finished talking to my husband. Then the phone rang.

Daniel was calling from about half a mile down the road. The bag of groceries he was carrying on his bike had broken and he needed me to come and help him. I headed out in the truck to pick him up. As I pulled out of the driveway, I turned on the radio, rolled the window down and tried to just breath and calm my self.

I picked up Daniel and told him we needed to look at his homework when we got home.

Going through his binder I found two additional pieces of homework and a notice for a test that is to happen on Friday. As we wrote out a plan for him for the afternoon, I heard crying from the bathroom upstairs. The girls were fighting and The Littlest One had gotten water up her nose.

I gave Daniel a short chore to do while I took a break and went upstairs to deal with the girls. After getting them out of the bath, brushing out their tangles, putting medication on the Littlest One’s eczema and dressing them, I headed back to the kitchen.

Daniel had finished his chore and had some time to think about what the afternoon plan was going to mean for him. He complained that all this work was going to cut into his video game playing time. Everything in me wanted to scream, “WHY DO YOU THINK YOU DESERVE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN BLOWING OFF HOMEWORK AND HAVE DROPPED FROM AN “A” IN SCIENCE TO AN “F”!” but I restrained myself. Instead, I finished his plan with him and verbally gave him his first assignment. It was going to be a long night.

I completed the emails as the boys, Daniel and The Bear, cleaned up the kitchen. I dodged interruptions from the girls, Miss Alyss and The Littlest One. Finally they were all complete and I even had a response from one teacher.

Thankfully there is McDonald’s for days like this. and a husband who suggest we head out for dinner. Not the most nutritious meal to feed my family, but on a straw day, cooking can be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. Daniel’s still not happy about his homework tonight but he is working on it, my kitchen is cleaned up and the house is quiet and I am pretty sure I can deal with tomorrow.


About aspergersmom

I am a 35 year old woman. I am the wife of an amazing man, who keeps me sane. As a recent California/Florida transplant to the midwest and the mother to a combined family of 6 children; 3 boys, 3 girls, my life is an adventure. I blog and raise our family with my best friend.
This entry was posted in Challenges, IEP Process, Parenting on the Spectrum. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s